Are you a Disabled person living in Camden? Would you like to solve problems and develop your leadership skills?
If yes, now is your chance to join Camden Disability Action’s Leadership Programme!
CDA is recruiting for new people to join our Leadership Programme, where you will learn leadership skills and lead a real change.
Since April 2020, CDA has been working with a group of leaders to develop their change projects. In a change project you identify a problem and what you can do to make change happen.
We know many groups do not identify with the term Disabled. We know many of the Deaf community, neurodivergent community and many other groups do not. But we have redefined Disability to mean something new – we do not see any one as being a person with a disability. We see that society Disables all of us unnecessarily and together we can have pride in who we are, but together battle discrimination and prejudice.
We are looking for six Disabled people to join a current leader on one of the following existing change projects:
Employment and transitions
- Did you attend a mainstream school and receive poor careers advice?
- Have you experienced barriers to employment?
- This project aims to raise aspirations of young Disabled people, and show professionals that Disabled people should access the same opportunities as their non-Disabled peers
- Do you love live music and pub roasts?
- Are you passionate about making sure that everyone can access venues and enjoy the same experiences?
- This project aims to encourage Camden and Islington venues to become accessible for those with mobility impairments.
- Do you have experience of hospital discharge and how it is implemented?
- Do you want to help a range of people and organisations understand Disabled peoples’ experience of hospital discharge, and the support they may receive afterwards?
- This project aims to raise awareness around how Disabled people are affected by current hospital discharge processes and work with health professionals to design better processes.
How does the programme work?
- You will receive leadership training and coaching support for 10 months, from April 2021-February 2022
- You will join one of the projects, share your ideas, and all take action together to make a positive change
- All sessions are currently taking place on Zoom. We hope to run in-person sessions in the future and will follow government advice
- On average, you will spend around 2 hours a week on your project
- Any access needs will be met to ensure you can take part
Do you think you have what it takes to take part?
You don’t have to be an experienced leader. We are looking for Disabled people who have some of these skills and qualities (you don’t have to have them all):
- Interested in one of the above change projects
- Enthusiasm for making change happen
- Ability to think of different solutions to problems
- Enjoy contacting and talking to a range of people about how they can help solve problems
- Belief that Disabled people can lead change
- Enthusiasm for writing, especially social media posts
- Ability to research examples of how other people have solved similar problems
- Willing to work as part of a team to make change happen
If you want to apply, please contact Anna Storm at
Telephone: 07908 747 007
We want any Disabled person living in Camden to have a chance to apply, so please don’t be put off if you find forms hard to fill in:
We can send you an application form to fill in
You can phone Anna and she will help you answer the questions over the phone in BSL on video call
We can send you a video of the questions and you can send a recording back with your answers
You have to apply by March 25th 2021
We will do informal interviews with people we think will work well on the programme. These will be in the week beginning 29th March 2021
We will tell you if you have a place on the programme by April 5th 2021